St. Thomas – US Virgin islands
A great port of call on any Caribbean cruise would be St. Thomas on the US Virgin Islands.
The US Virgin Islands are a tropical paradise, located in the Caribbean Sea. With its pristine beaches and lush rainforests, it’s no wonder why the US Virgin Islands are a popular destination for tourists from around the world. From snorkeling and scuba diving to exploring historical sites and taking in the vibrant culture, there is something here for everyone. Whether you’re looking for an adventure or simply want to relax in paradise, the US Virgin Islands is sure to provide an unforgettable experience.
The US Virgin Islands are a group of islands located in the Caribbean Sea. These islands are composed of three main islands: Saint Croix, Saint John, and Saint Thomas. Each island has its own unique culture and landscape, offering visitors a variety of activities to enjoy. From beautiful beaches to historic sites, there is something for everyone on the US Virgin Islands.
St Thomas is one of the three main islands. This Caribbean paradise is known for its stunning natural beauty, warm climate, and relaxed atmosphere. From pristine beaches to vibrant culture, St Thomas offers something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing vacation or an adventure-filled getaway, St Thomas has it all! With its incredible scenery and laid-back lifestyle, it’s easy to see why so many people choose to visit this beautiful island each year.
Saint Thomas cruise port guide
St. Thomas offers two docking locations for cruise ships. Both cruise terminals are at the west and east part of the town Charlotte Amalie. Expect the center to be about a 10 to 15 minute walk.
First of all we will find the Havensight cruise terminal just east of the town and the Crown Bay cruise dock at the west of the town of Charlotte Amalie. How to know where your cruise ship is are going to dock? If you are on a cruise with Royal Caribbean or with a sister company then expect to dock at the Crown Bay cruise dock. If you are with another cruise line then expect to dock at the Havensight cruise terminal. Both have great facilities and will make sure you have all you need to have a good time ashore.
Havensight cruise terminal
Usually cruise ships dock at the Havensight cruise terminal also known as WICO cruise ship dock. See the description of the Crown bay cruise dock to see why you would be docking here.
Havensight cruise terminal is a lovely cruise dock located right by a large shopping area, the cable car and a 10 minute walk from the city center of St. Thomas. However you can also grab a taxi to the city center for just 6 us dollar per person.
The port provides some entertaining facilities and a representative of the tourist information in the first couple of hours after the ship docks.
At the cruise dock you will find taxi’s and car rentals nearby.
Taxi prices at Havensight cruise terminal
Taxi’s can be found at the cruise dock. The taxi’s are either larger 15 passenger seat trolleys or taxi vans.
Usually a representative of the taxi union will be at the cruise dock asking guests politely if they are interested in a taxi and if so he/she will tell you the price and point you towards the taxi.
The taxi rates are fixed and displayed in the port on a sign as well as in the guides printed by the local tourist information of St. Thomas.
Expect that an island tour per taxi will cost about $75 per person / 2-more $38 ea.
Prices as there are displayed are as follows:
From – to:
– Havensight cruise terminal to Airport / emerald beach = $11 for 1 person – $9 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Bologo Beach = $15 for 1 person – $12 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Coki beach / Coral world = $18 for 1 person – $14 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Crown Bay Marina = $10 for 1 person – $6 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Downtown Charlotte Amalie = $6 for 1 person – $6 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Magens Bay Beach = $15 for 1 person – $12 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Mahogany Run Golf Course = $15 for 1 person – $12 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Morning star beach = $10 for 1 person – $8 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Mountain top = $17 for 1 person – $12 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Red Hook ferry dock (to catch the ferry to St. John) = $20 for 1 person – $15 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Sapphire Beach = $21 for 1 person – $15 for 2 people or more
– Havensight cruise terminal to Secret Harbor Beach = $23 for 1 person – $15 for 2 people or more
The prices above are one way prices, from Havensight cruise dock to destination. Make sure to agree on a time and price to get back to the ship. Higher fares might apply if this is a single fare.
You can always ask to see the official tariff sheet when in doubt. Taxi fares are subject to change.
Crown bay cruise dock
Royal Caribbean has a cooperation with this specific cruise dock. Therefore if you sail with Royal Caribbean of their sister company you will most likely dock at this terminal. However this is just a rule of thumb. The cruise line will be able to tell your exact docking location.
The crown bay cruise dock is located near a lovely yacht area full of restaurants and shops. From here it is about a 15 to 20 minute walk to the city center of Charlotte Amalie. You can also grab a taxi for 9 dollar per person.
Taxi prices at Crown bay cruise dock
Taxi’s can be found near the cruise dock. Find a representative of the taxi union to agree on a price and get you on a taxi to your destination of the day.
Here are the taxi prices as they have been printed by the local tourist information of St. Thomas.
– Crown bay cruise dock to Downtown Charlotte Amalie = $6 for 1 person – $6 for 2 people or more
– Crown bay cruise dock to Magens beach = $15 per person
– Crown bay cruise dock to Havensight = $9 per person
– Crown bay cruise dock to Coral world = $15 per person
– Crown bay cruise dock to Emerald beach = $6 per person
– Crown bay cruise dock to Red Hook (to catch the ferry to St. John) = $17 per person
Taxi prices are based on one way fares. Taxi prices are subject to change.
Since the island of St Thomas is part of the US Virgin Islands it will be no surprise that the official currency is the US dollar.
Creditcards are widely accepted at most shops and attractions.
Wi-fi can be found at most restaurants and bar at the cruise port, provided you are paying customer.
Furthermore, if you have a mobile phone with a US plan than your phone will most likely work as usual.
Things to see and do in St. Thomas
Coral world ocean park
Get up close with the Caribbean marine life
Take the cable car up to enjoy great views over the southern part of the island. Do some shopping or have a nice lunch while enjoying one of the best views of the island.
If your ship is docked at Havensight cruise dock than you’ll only be a 10 minute walk away from the cable car starting point.
St. Thomas offers a great shopping experience. There is an abundance of shopping opportunities available in the close proximity of both cruise docks. Find a wide variety of shopping from jewelry, clothing, shoe, crafts shops and pharmacy’s close to either cruise docks.
The Havensight cruise dock is located in front of the Havensight open air mall.
Crown Bay cruise dock is located at the Crown Bay center.
You can also chose to travel a little bit further afield to other major shopping area’s like Downtown Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook.
St. Thomas offers great beaches to visit for the day. These are however not within walking distance. You will need transportation to get to them.
On the south side of the island you will find these two beaches close to where the airport of St. Thomas is located:
Brewer’s Bay beach
Emerald reach Resort
On the north coast of the island you will find St. Thomas’ most famous beaches:
– Magens beach – The most famous beach of the island is Magens beach. It is a 1 mile long beach is a public park with picnic tables.
– Coki point beach – Known for white sandy beaches, snorkelling and diving. All facilities including dive shop, vendors, restaurants and beach chair rental are available.
– Lindquist beach – Also known as Smith Bay Park. This is one of St. Thomas’ most pristine beaches. It is owned and maintained by the government and offers some basic facilities.
– Sapphire beach – Known for sapphire blue waters, great for snorkelling and windsurfing.